Cacti 1.0 and Weathermap

Cacti 1.0 was released a few days ago, and with it, a new plugin API. Weathermap (even from github) doesn’t currently work with Cacti 1.0. Unfortunately, at least from a first look, it also seems that it’s not possible to easily have a plugin that supports both Cacti 0.8.x and Cacti 1.x. The Cacti Group’s own plugins have made a clean break, with new versions only supporting 1.0. I think it will be a while before everyone moves to 1.0 (personally I avoid version x.0 of anything, especially with such big internal changes), and that it’s unfair that to get new Weathermap features (or fixes!), you’d need to upgrade Cacti too. So I want to continue supporting 0.8.x with new versions also, at least until Weathermap is also settled down again. With PDO, and PHP 7 support, and the changes related to code improvement, I’d hope that even if I decide to stop supporting Cacti 0.8.x, someone else could continue, after that point.

After a very busy new year, I’m back to thinking about Weathermap again, and will be finishing off the changes for PDO and PHP 7.0 soon. Once that version is released, then I’ll look at Cacti 1.0. It’s likelyย that Weathermap will be broken into multiple downloads: a ‘core’ with the actual map functionality and probably the CLI, and then a series of extra downloads to provide the editor, Cacti 0.8.x plugin, Cacti 1.x plugin, standalone web app, and LibreNMS plugin. You would download the core plus whichever of the other features you actually need. To get both Cacti versions working, something like this is necessary, and users of other systems don’t need any of that code cluttering up their installation.

There is (as far as I know) one remaining set of failing tests before the next release – all related to colourising icons, and transparency.

21 thoughts on “Cacti 1.0 and Weathermap

1. Howard Post author

Yes – thanks to some work generously done by Cigamit of the Cacti Team, there should be a Cacti 1.0 plugin for the next release after all. I think I have a plugin that works with both 0.8.8 and 1.0.x too – that needs more testing, but seems to be working for me.

I’m getting married in a month, and renovating parts of two different houses (one is finally done – the other is my office), so time is short at the moment. I will try to get some time to keep it moving!

1. Jason Kack

Awesome for you getting married and i want to take the time to tell you how awesome you are. network Weathermap is the best plugin by far for cacti and yiou made my life so much more simple many times throughout the year. To personally thank you even more please send me an email with your preference of an item on your amazon wishlist or if you simply prefer a paypal donation.
      People like you make people like us look better. Keep being awesome and best wishes for your wedding.
      Jake

2. Evan

Cant wait for the weathermap release that’s compatible with cacti 1.0, keep up the good work! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. SHLelieveld

Hello Cacti Developer/supporter,

We are a month since the last mark and I noticed that the cacti version of my system is also upgraded to 1.x
    So I would like to have the weathermap plugin working again as soon as it is available.
    We are not big users of a lot of maps or so. So I think we are not very helpfull for testing purposes, but if you think otherwise contact me so I might be of some assistance.

Regards,

4. Welly Hartanto

Hi Howard, thanks a lot for the works you’ve done!
    Waiting for the updates for Cacti 1.x
    …meanwhile, May your lives continue to grow in love and happiness together!

5. Howard Post author

When it is working! Most of the things that have been soaking up my spare time (house stuff, wedding stuff) are done now, so it should speed up. You can follow on github in the database-refactor branch.

6. Jackie

Howard,
    Congratulations on your marriage! So happy for you…wishing you a long and happy life together!
    Thanks so much for all your work on the weathermap code. It is so flexible and powerful, we rely on it heavily. Looking forward to the new release compatible with Cacti 1.x.

7. Kevin N

Hello Howard!
    Congrats on your marriage and other life changes!
    I’m excited to include the new Weathermap in my Cacti appliance as it has been a great plugin. Look forward to news and improvements.

8. Greg Jank

Hy Howard!

Grat on your marrige, and wishing you a happy life!
    But my bosses nagging me about the new weathermap. Any idea when will it finished?

1. Acontios

I just upgraded my Cacti install (in fact, I was forced to because I was running such an oudated version that Debian 9 wouldnt let me run Cacti :-)), and like everyone, saw that with 1.1.11 (yuk, upgraded a day before .12 release), no weathermap. World is collapsing under my feets ๐Ÿ™‚

So, no, I’ll not ask “when will it be available”, even if the question burns my lips, but just saying: good luck with the remains of that github list. Hope that my (numerous) maps will come back online soon ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Anis Momin

HI Howard,

HOw things coming along with weathermap? Hope you had a wonderful wedding.. I never got the chance to play with weathermap… even couldn’t get it working with old version for some reason,,,,,
    Can’t wait for it to be ready for cacti 1.1.6

thanks.

10. Kevin N

Hello Howard,
    I’m sure you have been super busy with everything this summer. Any thoughts timing of an update? or perhaps some instructions on how to get the existing version to run on cacti 1.x? I have seen a couple posts where people have it going with only minor issues.